Perioperative Nursing Program
Certificate of Completion
- Part time: 29–33 weeks
- Full time: 16 weeks
See Plan of Study details for more information.
- Independent, online learning with live classroom sessions
- In-person skills and simulation labs in Halifax
- Clinical placements in an operating room in Nova Scotia
- Part-time Winter: January 16, 2023–August 14, 2023
- Full-time Winter: January 9, 2023–April 25, 2023
- Part-time Winter: December 6, 2022
- Full-time Winter: December 13, 2022
The Perioperative Nursing Program (PONP-RN) prepares Registered Nurses for professional practice in the operating room. This performance-based program supports Registered Nurses to advance their clinical judgment, critical thinking, and clinical leadership in the perioperative setting.
This program using a conceptual learning approach in developing both the scrub and circulating roles for the perioperative Registered Nurse. Upon completion of the program, learners are prepared to meet the dynamic and complex needs of patients in the perioperative setting.
- Active-practicing RN license with the provincial regulator
- Approval from an OR manager within Nova Scotia to confirm a clinical seat and sponsorship for the program