Emergency Nursing Program
Certificate of Completion
- Part time: 24 weeks
- Full time: 16 weeks
See Plan of Study details for more information.
Available to learners in Nova Scotia and PEI
- Independent, online learning with live group discussions
- In-person skills and simulation sessions in Halifax, Antigonish, Sydney, or Yarmouth for Nova Scotia learners and Charlottetown for PEI learners
- Part-time Fall: September 12, 2022–February 24, 2023
- Part-time Winter: January 9, 2023–June 23, 2023
- Full-time Fall: August 22, 2022–December 9, 2022
- Full-time Fall (Cape Breton Only): September 12, 2022–December 30, 2022
- Full-time Winter: January 17, 2023–May 5, 2023
- Program dates will be posted here in advance of the next program offering.
- Part-time Winter: December 16, 2022
- Full-time Winter: December 16, 2022
- Registration deadlines will be posted in advance of the next program offering.
The Emergency Nursing Program (ENP) prepares Registered Nurses for professional practice in the emergency department. This performance-based program supports RNs to advance their clinical judgement, critical thinking, and clinical leadership to work collaboratively with the interprofessional team. Whether you are a new graduate, new hire, or have experience in acute care, this program prepares you to care for patients with low to high acuity emergencies.
This program uses a conceptual learning approach. Learners study a concept, then actively apply the concept to emergency case studies and simulation. Each concept is integrated with others so, by the end of the program, graduates can apply all concepts to patients’ emergency presentations. This active, learner-centred approach fosters critical thinking and a deeper understanding of clinical knowledge by building on previous knowledge. Upon completion of the program, learners will be prepared to meet the dynamic and complex needs of patients in the emergency setting.
- Active-practicing RN license with the provincial regulator
- Nova Scotia Learners: Must be sponsored by emergency department manager
- PEI Learners: Contact your Health PEI manager and the CCNP/ENP course coordinator, Julia Norris (firstname.lastname@example.org) for approval to register for the program